Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My, how time flies!

Hair growth, 12 weeks post final chemo.
It's looking sandy blonde.
I was diagnosed on June 23rd of 2015, and I remember when I found out I had four months of chemo ahead of me, I felt like it might as well be a year. Sixteen weeks seemed like such a long, long time. Now, it's already been 12 weeks since my last chemo. It's crazy to think that much time has passed! It's been seven weeks since surgery (or will be tomorrow). If it weren't for the butch hair and the missing body part, I could almost convince myself it was all a bad dream.

I have to say, cancer has definitely taught me patience. Even though I want it to all be over with, I feel a little more patient than I did back in June. What's six weeks compared to four months? That attitude has even bled into my non-cancer life: I don't drive so fast on the freeway, because what's an extra minute or two? I don't mind waiting a few days until I can do something fun, because what's a couple days? That doesn't apply to the whole weight loss thing, though. That I want to happen RIGHT NOW. I'm even being pretty patient with myself about fitness, as long as I do a little more at each workout and continue to improve.

Radiation starts tomorrow. Six weeks, then I'm done with treatment. I'll still have reconstruction, but that's not happening until next year so I might as well not even think about it. That gives me a year to get a bunch of this weight off so I have a hot body to go with the new rack. :) I believe I'll be getting mammograms every four months for a while, then six, and I'm sure every little twinge or mole will send me into the "is it cancer??" mode. But at least I know I won this round, and if I have to do it again I will. But I sure hope not.

It's date night. I'm going to go have some fun with my honey!

1 comment:

  1. *smiles*

    Date nights should always be held sacrosanct.

    Hope

    ReplyDelete