Sunday, August 2, 2015

In other news: cancer sucks

So, I spend a lot of time in my room, lying in bed, watching TV, looking at the internet, doing a little work on my laptop. I have to admit getting waited on hand and foot is not objectionable, but I get tired of the things I don't get to do. Gatherings I don't get to go to, dances I can't attend, places I can't go because they are likely to be crowded, things I'm not allowed to eat.

Today Michael's daughter went to a wine and cheese shop. I am not allowed to drink wine. She brought home like four kinds of brie cheese. Knowing chemo patients have restrictions on certain kinds of cheese, like bleu (sad face), I figured we should look up whether I'm allowed brie. Guess what? NO. No soft cheeses, like brie, camembert, or feta. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!  I love all those cheeses! I demanded nachos made from cheddar (allowed) in compensation.

When I'm done with chemo and my immune system is recovered, I'm so going to eat and drink my heart out. Sushi, soft cheeses, rare steak with bleu cheese on it, alcohol. It's going to be a day of feasting to put all feasts to shame. And then I'll probably throw it all up since I won't be used to eating that way. How ironic would it be to get through chemo without throwing up, then do it when I'm all done?

I'm doing OK today. A little weak and tired, but overall, not bad. Last night I had some pain in my hands and face--the neulasta shot spurs white blood cell production, and that occurs in the bone marrow so sometimes there's bone pain. I snuggled under the electric blanket next to my sweetie (who I'm sure really appreciated the heat but was too sweet to complain), took a norco, and watched Sherlock. By the time it was over I felt a bit better. I took a hot shower and put a warm wet washcloth on my face, and that helped, too. By the time I went to sleep I felt fine, and I don't really feel any pain today. I suspect tomorrow I'll be in pretty good shape, and then I'll have a reprieve until the next treatment. Except I still can't eat soft cheese. :/ Currently, no mouth sores or metal taste or loss of appetite, so that's good.

Genetic counseling on Wednesday so I can find out whether I have the BRCA gene. This tells me whether I'm at a high risk of the cancer returning and will play into my decision of whether to get a double mastectomy. They sent me like 10 pages of questions to answer about my medical history as well as my family's, so I'm working through that a little at a time.

I hope you're all having a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I sort of enjoyed contacting family to ask about cancer history for my genetic testing. It does take a bit of digging. Glad you're feeling okay, considering. :) Cheese will happen soon enough. <3
    -ShannaraRain

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to you in your treatment. I read your blog and FB with admiration for how well you're handling the whole draining experience with humour and strength. Can't be easy. But what can you do, right? No choice but to go through it and keep going. Just know that we're all cheering you on from afar but keeping you close in our thoughts. From your FB friend in Ontario, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete