Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Feeling thankful

I tend to live with an "attitude of gratitude" in general anyway, but going through this journey has highlighted for me even more how very lucky I am. I am in a situation where I am taken care of--financially, physically, and emotionally--and only have to work as much as I feel capable and when I feel up to it (I do have deadlines, but I've pared down my workload quite a lot--thanks to colleagues who are taking on a lot of work for my sake). I have coverage that is paying for my medical expenses. I have an amazing support network. I am surrounded by love. I am generally healthy (other than the cancer), and that will help me fight.

What are you thankful for today, dear readers?

I talk to a lot of people who are currently fighting cancer or a chronic illness, and many of them choose to keep their battles secret. This is their decision to make, they have their reasons, and I make no judgement. Or perhaps they are not so secret, but they face struggles I do not: financial problems, small children to take care of, unhelpful spouses (or no partner), complicating health issues. I think of them often and send them prayers and well wishes, wishing I could do more.

So maybe, faithful readers, we could just give an anonymous shout out to my fellow warriors who could use a little pick-me-up? Words of love, encouragement, strength, whatever you want to offer. I know I would appreciate it!

As for me, I'm doing pretty well today. Yesterday started out well, but I crashed energy-wise around 2:00 and had to cancel on a friend who was going to come visit. It sounds like this will be the pattern: nauseous for the first three days (getting better as each day progresses), then achiness from the neulasta shot, then fatigue for a couple days and then I'll feel pretty good until the next treatment. From all I've heard, those days of fatigue will get a little longer each time with fewer good days. That's a pattern I can live with. It's good to know what to expect. I need to make sure I'm as productive work-wise as possible in the mornings, when I have the most energy and focus.

And now that I've done quite a bit of work and this blog, time to get some rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment