So here's what we're going to do: we'll make a paper chain and write a treat on each one, randomize them, and tear one off after each treatment. We do whatever it is during that two weeks, whenever I feel up to it. Fun, huh?
So here's where I need your input: what suggestions do you have? It could be going somewhere, eating something special, buying something...use your imagination and let's have some fun with this. We have to come up with this fast because chemo starts first thing Wednesday morning. Make your suggestion in the comments (or on facebook because I know some of you have issues getting your comments to go through...sorry) and I'll add them to this post. Then we'll either pick the eight we like the best or maybe random ones if I like too many.
Remember, I might be nauseous the first week after treatment and will be highly susceptible to infection the second week so I'll need to avoid crowded places, touching strangers, etc. No sushi, rare steak, alcohol, or tobacco (thereby cutting out many of my great joys in life). I'll start with one I think will work (please note: if I missed yours, it's because I'm getting deluge of suggestions and I missed it. Feel free to just send me a message or post it again. Or it was naughty and I didn't want my mom to see it!):
Yes, I will clear questionable items with my doctor.
Also, there are a lot of great ideas for general coping, nice ways to spend time together, etc. I may capture those in another post, but they're more every day type things than what I'm looking for here. This is for things that are more celebratory. Things you save for a special occasion.
- Get ice cream at my favorite ice cream parlor (Leatherby's) (yes, I've heard the whole thing about how you should avoid sugar. I will be cutting way back on it so a treat once in a while is fine)
- We each give/get foot massages (could make it a whole romantic evening with candles and stuff...)
- Buy some kind of accessory that is special and will be a reminder
- Hire someone to do a thorough house cleaning
- Go to a spa for a couples massage
- Go out for a movie date and eat ridiculous amount of popcorn. Maybe the drive-in.
- Rent or borrow a pickup truck, fill the bed with blankets, pillows, an air mattress, whatever...and have him drive you someplace out of the way to go stargazing. Bonus points are snacks, hot chocolate in a mug, etc.
- You love to dance, you each pick a song and dance, like no one is watching! (could be part of the whole romantic evening thing)
- Buy comfort things- like the plush blanket, robe, or slippers you normally wouldn't splurge on.
- A couples bubble bath with some brown sugar vanilla bubbles and soft lighting with only candles and some Nora Jones playing in the background
- Start a charm or Pandora bracelet. Every treatment you can add one. Then when this curse is beaten you can add the most beautiful charm of all.
- A weekend away in nature - where you can both be active and relax depending on your energy level
- a day at a Spa with Sauna & massage
- a playful photo shoot because chemo might temporarily transform but you can still be sexy
- nice smelling nourishing creams for your skin
- a day trip to a secluded beach (With all the appropriate sunblock gear and a fancy umbrella and chair)
- Buy a new game and have friends over to play it