Monday, August 29, 2016

MRI Results

I got my results from my shoulder MRI last week, although I haven't had the chance to sit down and write a post about it. I have tendinosis, which is a common degenerative malady, particularly for athletes (my years of dance). I also have an interstitial tear in the rotator cuff. The doctor is sending a referral to an orthopedist to consult with me about how to handle it.

From the reading I've done, they usually try to do physical therapy first in hopes of fixing it without surgery and often will just not do surgery, even if PT doesn't do the trick, unless you really need to lift your arms above your head. I'm thinking I really kinda do. But the PT has definitely helped a lot. Also, it looks like surgery is often indicated for tears greater than 3mm, and mine is about 4x5. So, we'll see what happens there. I would love it if we can just get it to heal without cutting me open again. My daily stretches have become routine.

My lumpectomy is Thursday. It shouldn't be too bad, but I'm not looking forward to it. I am looking forward to having it behind me, though!

Recovery is getting better. I still conk out every afternoon, but it seems like I can get more accomplished before that happens. I've lost about 18 pounds now since I finished treatment and getting stronger all the time. My trainer keeps making my workouts harder, yet I manage them more easily. I'm very happy about that!

2 comments:

  1. I had a partial rotator tear -- riding related -- the ortho insisted that surgery was my only option. I did a fair amount of research and found that if the tear is only partial you can get healing. I committed to hardly using the arm at all, no carrying or weight at all, no reaching or lifting. Then after several months I gradually added motion and weight. I got 99% of my strength and mobility back. It took 12 months, but so much better than surgery. Find a really good sports related physical therapist. Do your research and make them really convince you that surgery is the only option. You can always do surgery. Try other stuff if you don't have a full tear. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete